Who needs jack-o’-lanterns when you can make these adorable, versatile orange-o’-lanterns?
- Candies (M&M’s, Skittles, jelly beans…whatever!)
- Sharp knife
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the top of an orange and set it aside.
- Using the same sharp knife, cut around the edges of the orange and scoop out the fruit. (Be careful not to cut away too much of the white pith stuff — I cut one of my lanterns too thin and the oils from the peel melted my candy.)
- Use a spoon to scrape out whatever you couldn’t pull out the first time, until you have a mostly clean, hollowed out intact orange peel.
- Rinse with water, and pat dry.
- Carefully carve spooky faces into the side of the peel. (If you want to have one of them falling over/spilling candy like mine, carefully cut off a small, flat piece on the spot where you want your orange to be balanced, to create a little flat platform.)
- Freeze or chill in the fridge until you’re ready to use your orange-o’-lantern.
- Fill with candy, and enjoy!