- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 -15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- FOR THE PEPPER MIXTURE:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- FOR THE BAKE:
- 1 tube Ancient Harvest Traditional Polenta
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 – 15 oz can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 large sweet potato, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- For garnish: cilantro and avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Add tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper to a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until tomato sauce thickens up a bit.
- Saute the onions and peppers: In a separate skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion and red pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent and peppers are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the bake: In a separate medium bowl, add in polenta and a few tablespoons of water. Use your hands to mash the polenta and break it up again. Transfer to prepared pan and press into the bottom of the pan, creating a base for the bake. Next spread half of the refried beans, slices of the sweet potato, onion/pepper mixture, half of the sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese. Then spread the remaining refried beans on top, the rest of the sweet potatoes, the other half of the sauce and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes are tender when poked with a fork. Serves 8.