- 2 pounds thin asparagus, rinsed with ends cut off
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ½ cup shredded asiago cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sea Salt to taste
- Garlic Pepper (or regular pepper) to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the broiler on your oven. Place the rack on the top rung.
- In a large skillet, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Toss in asparagus and cook covered for 4 minutes or until fork tender. Remove asparagus and place on a nonstick baking sheet (or pre-sprayed baking sheet), in a long row. Season with sea salt and garlic pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Pour 1 cup asparagus water from the skillet into a measuring cup and discard the rest.
- In the same skillet, now empty, heat 2 tablespoons salted butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine, about 1 minute.
- Pour the asparagus water into the skillet and combine using a whisk until a thick sauce forms. About 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan, asiago, and ½ cup mozzarella. Stir until creamy and fully melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the center of the asparagus. Top with the remaining ¼ cup mozzarella.
- Broil for 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Watch this step carefully to not overcook.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve and enjoy