- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or grapeseed oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the sweet potatoes and peppers. Stir in the chili powder and cumin and season with salt and pepper. Cook the veggies for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add in the black beans, pinto beans, and the diced tomatoes. Pour in 3 cups of the vegetable broth and stir in the cocoa powder. Stir until well-combined. Add the remaining broth if desired. Cover and let the chili simmer for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season with more salt if needed (and can also adjust other seasonings to taste). Serve with sour cream, cheese, avocado, or fresh cilantro or green onion.