- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ½ cup dark pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus a few sprigs for the roasting pan
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and quartered (pears can also be used as a substitution or along with apples)
- In a medium bowl whisk the shallot, cider, maple syrup, grated ginger, apple cider vinegar, chopped thyme leaves, kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Pour marinade into a large plastic storage bag and add in the chicken thighs. Seal bag and let chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours, turning the chicken in the bag once.
- Once ready to cook, preheat your oven to 400 degrees, add chicken to a 9×13 baking dish and arrange apple slices and thyme sprigs around the chicken.
- Pour the marinate over the chicken and bake the chicken for about an hour or until the chicken is fully cooked. Baste the chicken with the marinade a few times during the cooking process.
- Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes then serve.