- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- basil for serving, if desired
- Cut chicken in half horizontally. Pound each piece until ½ inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add flour to a shallow dish.
- Add egg to a shallow bowl and whisk, set aside.
- Add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to a shallow bowl and mix to combine.
- Starting with the flour and ending with breadcrumbs, dip the chicken into the flour, egg and Parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Add oil to a large skillet.
- Add chicken two at a time to the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden grown and cooked all the way through.
- Place chicken in a pan or sheet tray and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil on high until melted and bubbly. Top with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of basil for serving, if desired. Serve immediately.