- ¼ cup bacon fat (if you come up short, use extra virgin olive oil)
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (5 – 6 oz) bag baby spinach
- 1 (4 oz) log goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (1 oz) box craisins, about a handful
- 1 recipe candied pecans (about ½ cup)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- ¼ red onion, sliced very thinly
- Take the bacon fat (from cooked bacon) and place it into a blender along with a little extra virgin olive oil (if necessary), real maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, and salt.
- Blend until well combined.
- Taste test and re-season with salt if necessary. Set aside.
- Place baby spinach in a large bowl and top with goat cheese, bacon, craisins, candied pecans, hard boiled eggs, and very thinly sliced red onions!
- Gently toss together and serve in individual bowls! As I’ve said before, I always serve the dressing on the side, so people can add as little (or as much, like me) as they like!
The ingredient list for assembling the salad is just a guideline! The best thing about this salad is that it’s so customizable. Add as much or as little of each ingredient to suit your taste bud needs! Don’t like goat cheese? Go for blue. Do you go crazy for craisins? Then just add more! You could even make this vegetarian by losing the bacon and just use olive oil!