Tattoo artists across Kochi tell us the pros and cons of tattooing and busts the myths
Though Tattooing is an art form that has been around for centuries now, it had its fair share of myths and fears associated with it that made it a ‘taboo’ in many parts of the world. But in the last decade, it has gained a lot of popularity in India and has slowly crept into Kochi, with tattoo artists and studios flourishing like never before! Ritz catches up with popular tattoo artists across Kochi, who tell us the pros and cons of tattooing and busts some of the myths associated with the art form.
Text: Riya Sonny Datson
Dreamcatcher Tattoo Studio
Syama Devi had her very first tryst with tattoo back in 2002. She was so charmed by it that she began to get a tattoo done every year. Coming from a commerce background, it was always her dream to learn some form of art. That’s when she decided to master the art of tattooing. She started her own studio called Dreamcatcher Tattoo Studio in Kochi is 2012. “When I started, tattooing wasn’t an art form that was common. But in a couple of years, the trend gradually picked up and with more people preferring to wear a tattoo, the fear and myths associated with it has declined,” says Syama. So are they painful? “Not unbearable. I have never had a customer walk out of my studio without completing the design because he or she couldn’t bear the pain,” she smiles. Most professional studios use only ‘single use’ disposable needles that are opened just before use. Syama does the same and uses only imported ink for tattoos for she feels it is important that the ink is skin friendly and of high quality.
Things to keep in Mind:
- Avoid consuming alcohol atleast 24 hours before getting inked as it might increase bleeding
- Remember a tattoo is permanent. If you decide to remove to, it is a long and tedious process so think carefully before you decide
- Where you want a tattoo: Please check with your artist before you decide as some areas of your body are more sensitive than others. Some workplaces might not encourage tattoos so choose where you want to do your tattoo with care.
- Choosing the design: It is very important that you choose a design you relate to instead of getting one done because it is trendy or it because looked nice on your friend
- Where you are getting it done: Always go to a professional studio that has good hygiene and uses good quality ink and sterile needles.
- Do your research about every aspect of a tattoo before you take the decision
- After doing a tattoo, do not wax that area for a month.
- Avoid tight fitting clothes on the area where you have done the tattoo
- If you have a tattoo, most doctors would recommend that you don’t donate blood for atleast 6 months after you get your tattoo.
- Couple Tattoo : Couples come together and tattoo their partner’s name, a special date or a symbol of their love
- Portraits: Tattoo portraits of people
- Zodiac signs
- Animal tattoo : Each animal represents certain traits or characters
- Gift a tattoo for a special occasion
- Sanskrit Mantras
- Mythological characters
Rate: INR 1000/sq inch
It is said that a tattoo may cause burns if you have to undergo an MRI Scan as it has the presence of metallic elements. “But if the tattoo is done using skin friendly organic ink, there is nothing to worry about. We use only organic ink which has no metal content, so it is completely safe,” clarifies Syama who herself underwent an MRI Scan inspite of having multiple tattoos.
Contact: Facebook : Dreamcathcer Tattoo Studio
Instagram : dreamcatcher_tattoos
Syama Devi P 9995848022
Fabin Francis 9895144666