The city of lights, romance, fashion and love has much more than just the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees, Moulin Rouge and cafes. Here’s how you can make the most of your sojourn in this classic city by going beyond the cliché:
- Paris Metro is a great opener to the city’s socio-economic landscape. See the real Paris by travelling through the metro. You are sure to encounter street musicians, beggars, peak-hour rush, office goers jostling for space and much more in the underground metro.
- Visit one of Paris’ weekend markets. There’s one that congregates near the Bastille on Sundays. Haggle for homemade wine, bread, cheese and watch the locals go about buying their supplies.
- To catch a bird’s eye view of the magnificent city, chuck the queues at Eiffel Tower and instead climb the steep stairs to the Sacre Couer Basilica at Montmatre. You could also visit Parc Belleville located near Paris’ Chinatown for a good view of the city as well.
- Spend half a day exploring the vast landscaped gardens such as Tuilleries or Luxenbourg with fresh bread, cheese and a bottle of wine.
- Grab freshly made sugar and butter crepes from a roadside stall and head straight to the Champs de Mars by twilight to catch the Eiffel Tower glittering away to glory.