The Sri Lankan capital is just an hour and half away by flight from Bangalore. Since it takes even lesser time reach Colombo from Bangalore than say Delhi, it certainly makes for a great weekend option, providing an opportunity to experience a different country and culture. Colombo is not Sri Lanka mind you; it is only the capital city. But it nonetheless will give you a nice glimpse into our neighbouring country. Here’s how you can make the most of a weekend getaway to Colombo:
- Steeped in rich colonial history, the city has a number of heritage buildings. Visit the Wolvendaal Church, spend time at the Dutch hospital, which has now been converted to a chic shopping place. These buildings will give you a flavor of the Dutch occupation of Lanka.
- Spend time at the Viharaamahadevi garden and the Beira lake. The two crucial lungs for the residents, the green expanse and the cool waters of the lake as sure to leave you feeling calm in an otherwise humid city.
- Pay obeisance at the Gangramaya temple. A very important one in Colombo.
- As the evening draws in, hit the sea and Galle Face Green, an open green area that pulls in crowds every evenings.
- The next day, take a trip to the Fort city of Galle, a few hours away from Colombo. Here you can visit the historic Galle fort, Dutch Hospital (that now houses trendy shops, restaurants and cafes), ancient church, museum and art galleries. While returning from Galle, stop by at the Ambalangonda mask factory and witness the traditional Lankan masks being made by artisans. You could also visit Kosgoda and see baby turtles being nurtured.