- 8 Slices Hearty White Bread
- 6-8 Slices White or Orange American Cheese
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Large Eggs, whisked
- ⅔ Cup Milk
- 1½ Sleeves Ritz Crackers, crushed into coarse crumbs
- 3-4 Quarts Oil for Frying (we prefer peanut or canola)
- Ketchup or honey mustard for serving
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Lay out the bread and on each slice, on only one side of the bread, spread mayonnaise until it has all been used, making it so that the sandwich will have mayonnaise on the top and bottom bread but not on the outside. Add 1½-2 slices of cheese to 4 slices of the bread. Place the lid on, mayonnaise side down.
- Cut each sandwich in quarters.
- In a pie dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. In another dish add the bread crumbs.
- Dredge each quarter in the egg and then the crackers. Place on the cookie sheet and repeat with all sandwiches. Place in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
- Fill a dutch oven ½-3/4 full of oil. Heat over medium high heat. Too low of heat and the breading will just fall off and you’ll have soggy sandwiches. Cook 2-4 quarters at a time, about 1-2 minutes per side until golden and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate or a cooling rack over a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Serve with ketchup or we prefer honey mustard.