- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heaping ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 large russet potatoes cut into ¼-inch thick slices (3¾ cups ¼-inch sliced potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease a 1 quart oval casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over a medium heat. Add garlic, cook until soft and fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Add salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in pumpkin puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared dish, pour half of the sauce over. Cover with half of the cheese. Repeat for next layer. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cook until potatoes are fork tender and top is golden brown, about 1 hr. If the top starts to get too brown, cover with foil and remove a few minutes before the potatoes are done cooking.