Head out early morning on a Saturday, stay the night and return back late Sunday evening. Here are 5 quick destinations from Bangalore that can be reached within 5-6 hours:
- Mysore: The palace is a big draw. So is the Vrindavan garden with its musical fountain and the KRS dam. Make a trip to the zoo, St.Philomena’s Church, Chamundi Hills and the Karanji lake as well.
- Chikamagalur: Again known for its coffee plantations, you can visit the mountains of Bababudangiri and Mulayanagiri as well as the Hoysala temples of Belur and Halebid.
- Yercaud: This little hill station is known for its orange trees. Visit the Shevaroy temple and hills, the lake and the Hoggenakal falls en route to Yercaud.
- Hampi: Visit the capital of the Vijayanagar empire and see the ruins that Hampi is famous for. Enjoy the lights at the Tungabhadra dam and river by evening and take a safari to the sloth bear sanctuary.
- Coorg: Stay at a homestay amidst a coffee plantation, relish home-cooked Coorgi delicacies, visit the origin of River Kaveri (Talakaveri), soak in the waters of the Abbey falls, and visit Bylakuppe and its Tibetan monasteries.